7/30/19

Stripped Bare

"Thou hast begun a good work in me
and canst alone continue and complete it.
. . . . . . . . 
If I am not right, set me right, keep me right;
And may I at last come to thy house in peace."
~ Valley of  Vision


I didn't used to think that being a Christian was what I have experienced to this moment.  We were told that Christian living was victorious.  No problem, we had weapons and nothing would come against us.  And yet . . . . . . life happened.  Not only have I had life altering medical stuff happen in the span of 20 years but all of my daughters also have experienced challenges.  So, what's the deal?  Do I just chalk it up to genetics (although one is not tied this way) or do I look deeper?  

This is a hard thing to consider.  I wonder if I would have been so eager to believe if I had known what was around the corner.  There wasn't a choice really and blessedly so as He called me and there was no turning from Him.  And yet, no one ever says, "Come to Jesus and you will experience tough things".  For sure it isn't a great selling point.  How many of us would choose a life of ease over a life of purpose and meaning.  I'm not so sure that the two are compatible.

God does give us the sun, the rain and that silver lining.  It's just hard to see the sun when all you see is it raining.  And when you are drenched with a downpour it chills you to the bone.  It takes a life time and the grace of God to be able to see the silver lining in the midst of bad weather.  And here I'm not just talking about our bodies betraying us but a host of other scenarios that try the heart and soul that causes us to be broken in spirit and body.

We have to realize that we are broken and in much need of Someone to help and fix us.  We have a desperate need.  It's not so much to be happy but to be wholly holy.  This is what God, in Christ, will do for us because we are incapable of doing it for ourselves.


"All God's plans have the mark of the cross on them,
and all His plans have death to self in them."
~ E.M. Bounds

Christ gave of himself in order for us to become wholly whole.  This is an immeasurable gift.  But it is hard most often for our human eyes to see it.  So, in kindness and because of His great love for us, the taking away and stripping begins.  It is never a case of punishment but of great love.  For what we need is to see Jesus and it is hard to see him when we are full of other things.

Please understand that I'm not saying that its wrong to be happy or enjoy life's simple pleasures.  But that life has so much more meaning through the lenses of Christ's sacrifice and resurrection power for us.  I can enjoy family so much more when seen that they are gifts of the Creator and not just for my own personal gratification.  The beauty of the earth takes on diverse delights because I can see that God's handiwork is so broad.  Music can fill the soul as it is an expression of the Divine.   On and on are examples of this ~ really too many to list.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again
to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading,
kept in heaven for you, 
who by God's power are being guarded through faith 
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
In this you rejoice, though now for a little while,
if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,
so that the tested genuineness  of your faith --
more precious than gold that perishes 
though it is tested by fire --
may be found to result in praise and glory and honor 
at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
~ 1 Peter 1:3-7

It is most important to see Jesus.  If that means a taking away (a stripping) of me God help me to bend the knee to it.  I know I won't like it, haven't liked it. But I am seeing, even in small bits and pieces, how necessary it is.  Ultimately, this is where true happiness is found.

Job understood this but not before he was stripped of everything.  His complaints to God were answered by whirlwind and four chapters in the book of Job.  Here is Job's response to God after him hearing God's response to his complaint:


"I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted .
. . . . . . .
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
. . . . . . .
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eyes sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes."
~ Job 42 2-6

And so, the stripping continues.  Maybe not so much in my own body (although getting older has its own challenges) but in those around me that I love.  The stripping takes on many forms but it is always painful.  I have to remind myself that not only is this too from God's hand but that it has a good purpose.    And so the knee is bended again to the perfect will of Jesus Christ knowing that His love is deeper, and His purposes greater, than anything that I or those I love are going through.  

The hope is to see God and in doing so we are free.


2 comments:

  1. Love you mom, thank you, I needed these words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, thank you so much for sharing your faith and your struggles. You mentioned that no one said that if we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior that we will experience tough things, but I submit to you that God has revealed that we are in a spiritual battle. One of Satan's greatest weapons is to try to convince us that if God is so good, why does he allow us to suffer in this life? I have never believed that that by accepting Jesus into my life that life would be easier. This has given me the opportunity to never be disappointed if things don't work out how I would have liked and I am able to focus on the many blessings that I have in my life and feel the immense power of all the prayers of intercession raised on my behalf. God bless you for your insights and for sharing the love you have for God.

    ReplyDelete